Pages

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

I Love You, Guanajuato

Today I took my friend Amy on a whirlwind tour of Guanajuato. It must be the millionth time I've been there, but I'm always happy to find an excuse to visit again. It is the coolest city, and I find more layers of interesting-ness every time I visit.
    We had a neat experience when we went to eat at my favorite Japanese restaurant (Delica Mitsu, in the callejon behind San Fernando Plaza, just in case you're visiting - it's cheap, everything there is awesome and the atmosphere is unbeatable - it's in a callejon for goodness sake!) Anyway, we had just finished ordering when this gringo came in (if you can come in to an outside restaurant...) As he approached, I noticed he was wearing a tie... and carrying a folder that was 'just that size...' and then noticed that peeking out of the folder were several "Would You Like to Know the Truth?" tracts. HA! As he sat down at the table next to us, I said hello and asked, "Are you one of Jehovah's Witnesses?" The surprised look on his face was priceless, and my suspicions were confirmed when he answered, "Yes!" And of course then I told him we were too, and a nice conversation ensued that lasted the duration of lunch. (Poor brother - his name is Keith - I think he was disappointed he couldn't count his time during lunch ;) Turns out he is from the English congregation there in Guanajuato, recently moved from Belize to serve there. It's so cool to be one of Jehovah's Witnesses :) When we meet each other, we have an instant bond of friendship, regardless of background, race, and never mind that we've never met before!

     After finishing our delicious Japanese lunch, the remainder of the afternoon was spent walking and taking pictures and walking and taking pictures and trying NOT to buy all the pretty silver jewelry and walking and taking pictures and walking and trying NOT to buy all the nice leather stuff and walking and taking pictures and climbing stairs and taking pictures... you get the idea. ;) My feet are tired and my eyes are tired and my brain is tired... so I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story. Ciao :)

Jumping in front of the Alhondiga de Granaditas. Something about this building just begs you to jump in front of it ;)

I've taken a lot of pictures of the Guanajuato cityscape, but never saw this perspective before. We spied these aloe flowers on our walk up to the Pipila.

Love this blue door with bougainvillea.

Amy & I, intrepid adventurers of the world

A callejero kitty

Yours truly. As you see, I am surviving quite well.

No comments:

Post a Comment